In 2009, the Allegan County Community Foundation created the Allegan County Food Pantry Collaborative (ACFPC). Since that time, seventeen pantries have become members and rally around the same goals – feeding the hungry of Allegan County. Together they provide food for over 11,000 individuals each month.
The goals of the Collaborative are to network the pantries to share resources,support families, and educate one another on available assistance programs. Working together we have been able to better assess the needs in our County. Through quarterly reporting, the greatest needs of our pantries have surfaced. At the top of the listis cereal.
During the summer months, most children in rural Allegan County do not have access to the free breakfast programs that are offered for low income students during the school year. This effects approximately 3,800 school aged children. Cereal tops the list as a popular meal to jump-start the day. Yet many families cannot afford this breakfast mainstay. In our county, one in five kids struggles with hunger and poverty.
Because hunger doesn’t take a summer vacation, the Allegan County Food Pantry Collaborative is holding a cereal drive. The goal is 40,000 boxes of kid-friendly cereal during the month of May 2016! Reaching our goal will mean that every child whose family receives services from a member pantry will receive a box of cereal each week of the summer vacation months.
Make your donations at the below Allegan Area Chamber of Commerce member locations!
- Allegan County Community Foundation
- Allegan General Hospital
- Allegan Medical Clinic
- Christ Community Church
- Heart to Heart Restore – Hamilton
- Otsego Medical Center
- Village Market – Allegan
Other donation sites
- Save A Lot – Allegan
- Dick’s Market – Dorr
- Coldwell Bankers – Douglas
- Macatawa Bank – Douglas
- St. Peter’s Church – Douglas
- CD’s Quik Mart – Hopkins
- Ladders of Hope – Fennville
- Wagner Food Store – Fennville
- Hamilton Food Center – Hamilton
- Martin United Methodist Church – Martin
- Hardings Market – Otsego
- St. Vincent dePaul’s Food Pantry – Otsego
- Borgess-Pipp – Plainwell
- Christian Neighbors – Plainwell
- Dance Kraze Studio – Plainwell
- Harding’s Market – Plainwell
- Saugatuck Center for The Arts – Saugatuck
- Harding’s Market – Wayland